Wildcats In The Community
The Wildcats in the community is a community interest company not for profit making organisation established in June 2008 with links to the Swindon Wildcats Ice Hockey Team. The company has identified the following core objectives:
- Develop links with children from local communities throughout the South West of England.
- Encourage participation & healthy lifestyle
- Improve provision of sports education within schools
- Combat child obesity, diabetes and coronary heart disease
- Provide safe and controlled environments for children within local communities
- Provision of quality, choice and opportunity for children of local communities
In September 2007 ubtil April 2008 the Swindon Wildcats worked with over 30 schools and 12,000 children as part of our schools programme and 200 children every week as part of our learn to skate programme with over 350 every week by the end of April 2008. Due to the success and enthusiasm shown by local schools we intend to expand the programme to 5 days a week working with 500 children every week.
A key component of the Wildcats in the community programme is equality and it will serve all members and local communities with particular emphasis on children and includes male, female, ethnic minorities and special needs.
From attending a school as part of our assembly visits we then progress onto physical activities such as our Wildcat roadshows where children have the opportunity to take part in ball hockey at their respective school and also have the opportunity to come along and watch the Swindon Wildcats at the Link Centre. The schools also get the chance to take part in our cash back for schools initiative where all tickets sold to children are fully refunded to the schools, last year we gave back over £2000 in refunds.