Match report

Guildford Flames
4 - 7

After a brilliant win on Saturday the Wildcats made the trip to Guildford where they took on the Flames and thanks to a stunning second period display the Wildcats were able to complete their first four point weekend of the season, with a 7-4 victory.


The game didn't start well for the Wildcats. With a penalty being called on Swindon the Flames mishandled the puck and it slid all the way back into the empty Flames goal, only for the goal to be washed out. At 3:04 the Flames found themselves ahead, Marek Maslonka was fed the puck and fired home from close range to give the home side the lead. Things didn't get much better for the visitors when Marek Maslonka was on the scoresheet again.


In what was almost a mirror image of the opening goal, Maslonka had room in front of Lyle and making no mistake was able to double the Flames lead at 5:30. The Cats remained calm and at 8:56 they halved the deficit. Max Birbraer fed the puck to the man of the moment, Ben Davies, who skated around the Flames defence and moved around Ullberg and slid the puck into the empty net. Guildford had good opportunities at the end of the period but neither Danny Meyers or Ben Campbell could find a way past Lyle.


Then came the Wildcats onslaught - the second period which would see them score 5 goals. Firstly at 24:12 Tomasz Malasinski's pass across the crease managed to find a way into the back of the net which saw the Cats tie the game up at two and convert on their first powerplay of the night. Midway through the period the Wildcats found themselves on a powerplay again this time with two Flames players in the box.


The visitors made it two from two when Ben Davies again found space at the back post to slam the puck home, just as he had done against Telford the night before. Only 21 seconds had passed before Swindon had scored again. This time Aaron Nell was tee'd up by Max Birbraer and the Wildcats player coach shot from distance and sent the visiting fans wild.


Despite Guildford creating a few chances in the period all the action was at one end of the ice. At 36:24 Jonas Höög decided it was his turn to join the scoring party. After linking up with Max Birbraer and Ben Davies the Swede was able to fire past Richard Ullberg who was having a rough period between the pipes. It only got worse for Ullberg and Guildford when the Cats scored their sixth unanswered goal at 37:54.


The deadly duo of Höög and Nell were at it again when the Swede picked the puck up and fired a shot past a screened Ullberg and ensured the Cats went into the second break on cloud nine after turning a two goal deficit into a four goal advantage.


Guildford had changed their netminder for the final period with Mike Will taking over netminding duties but Jan Kostal tested him for his first shot from distance. Guildford continued to press hard and they had to score goals and score goals quickly. With the Wildcats on a penalty kill the Flames had the ideal time to strike and Captain Jez Lundin was able to do just that firing a big slapshot from the point through traffic.


The Flames continued to press and went close again through Matic Kralj but Lyle was better to the shot again. At 57:01 they converted another chance with the extra man. Danny Meyers was fed the puck at the back door and he tapped the puck into the empty net with Lyle out of position. Despite the late goal, nerves didn't affect the Wildcats players who scored their final goal of the night 25 seconds later.


Jonas Höög fed the puck to Tomasz Malasinski and the Polish international broke down the left wing, cut inside and fired past Will to ensure the points would be heading back to Wiltshire and giving the Wildcats their first maximum point weekend of the 2016-2017 EPL campaign.


Man Of The Match:

Guildford Flames - Kevin Phillips


Swindon Wildcats - Jonas Höög