Match report

1 - 2
Milton Keynes Lightning

Wednesday night saw a rare midweek ice hockey fixture, with it being half term it was a Kids Go Free game against the MK Lightning. Swindon went into the contest missing the trio of Callum Buglass, Toms Rutkis & Ollie Stone. MK were missing former Wildcat Glenn Billing and Polish international Mikolaj Lopuski.


The Lightning started brightly and were testing Stevie Lyle from the opening puck drop. Craig Scott saw his shot fly off the shoulder of Lyle and out of play before Frantisek Bakrlik's big slapshot went wide of the net. The MK pressure built up to a goal at 4:49. Lewis Hook's shot was saved by Lyle before the first rebound was deflected by Ed Knaggs into the path of Adam Carr to fire home.


With Max Birbraer in the penalty box the Lightning peppered the Cats net again but couldn't breach the defence of Stevie Lyle. The Wildcats composed themselves and for the second half of the period were in control. Max Birbraer and Aaron Nell both having great shots saved by Przemyslaw Odrobny in the MK goal. As the period drew to a close the Cats tested Odrobny again, this time through his Polish international team-mate, Tomasz Malasinski. Unfortunately for Swindon, his shot could only find its way into the glove.


The second period started in similar fashion to the first and at 22:23 it was 2-0 to the visitors. Michael Farn and Craig Scott linked up to find ex-Wildcat James Griffin at the point. The defender's shot took a wicked deflection in front of the net and took the puck past Stevie Lyle. The Cats got their break midway through the game when at 30:05 Aaron Nell won the puck back and deked through the defence before sliding the puck under the legs of Odrobny to reduce the deficit to one goal. With minutes left on the clock the Cats nearly struck again when Jonas Höög saw his shot fly into the glove of Odrobny.


The final period was a cagey affair, both sides creating chances but neither side had the clinical edge to take the goal they needed to take control in the contest. Swindon had a great amount of shots but couldn't find a way past Przemyslaw Odrobny in net. MK had chances themselves but Stevie Lyle stood tall in net and kept the Lightning forwards at bay, in particular Frantisek Bakrlik who was making some big shots.


As the period came to a close the Wildcats pushed that extra gear and they had a chance right at the end with Stevie Lyle pulled and MK shorthanded but Jonas Höög saw his shot go agonisingly wide of the far post with just two seconds on the clock.


Man of the Match


Swindon Wildcats - Sam Bullas


MK Lightning - Bobby Chamberlain