Swindon Wildcats completed their festive period of hockey with a 5-1 win against the Invicta Dynamos in Gillingham on Sunday evening.

The Wildcats went into the game with the same team as the Saturday evening missing the likes of Ben Nethersell, with Jan Kostal rested in favour of Max Birbraer and Jonas Hoog.

The first period the Wildcats flew out of the blocks and with the first rush of the game they nearly came away a goal up when Aaron Nell went through the centre of the ice only to be denied by Conor Morris in the Mos goal. However, it would not be long before the visitors took the lead. When at 16:17 Birmingham born D man, Sam Jones, was on hand to fire in a rocket of a slap shot past Morris to make it 0-1.

The opening period ended with that scoreline, with the Wildcats impressively outshooting the Dynamos 26-7.

The middle period saw the Wildcats again press their foot on the gas and once again Sam Jones was able to wind up a big slapshot at 24:03. With Aaron Nell and Jonas Hoog linking up they found the SWSC player of the month for December at the point who slammed the puck home for a 0-2 lead.

The Dynamos were creating a couple of chances themselves when Matt Foord and Ondrej Zosiak both saw shots saved by Renny Marr in the Swindon goal. At 36:18 though, it was 0-3. Max Birbraer and Chris Jones linked up nicely to find an on rushing Sam Bullas on the right wing. He wound up a slap shot and fired low to the left side past Morris to extend the Wildcats lead again.

The final period would prove to be more balanced, the Dynamos were getting more zone time and creating more chances with new import Oskars Ancitis going close on a couple of occasions. At 49:56 though the Wildcats made it 0-4. The same trio combined as on the third goal as a wonderful passing move in the offensive zone saw Sam Bullas with all the time in the world to slide the puck in to score his second of the evening.

Exactly a minute later, at 50:56, it was 0-5. Tyler Plews and Eddie Bebris combined to find the super Swede Jonas Hoog who was able to lift the puck over a sprawling Morris and score his second goal of the weekend. The Dynamos though continued to press, determined to break the shut-out and finally at 56:09, they did.

Matt Foord found room in the offensive zone but Renny Marr was better to his save and to his own rebound that made its way back to Foord. However, Oskars Ancitis was first to react and sniped the puck high past Marr’s glove and into the back of the net to make it 1-5.


The final buzzer sounded and the Wildcats had secured a nice four-point weekend right before a week break, where the batteries will be charged ahead of the final third of the season.